Quotes About Service
We have collected and put the best Quotes About Service. Enjoy reading these insights and feel free to share this page on your social media to inspire others.
May these Quotes About Service inspire you to never give up and keep working towards your goals. Who knows—success could be just around the corner.
Community service is unpaid work performed by a person or group of people for the benefit and betterment of their community without any form of compensation. Community service can be distinct from volunteering, since it is not always performed on a voluntary basis and may be compulsory per situation. Although personal benefits may be realized, it may be performed for a variety of reasons including citizenship requirements, a substitution of criminal justice sanctions, requirements of a school or class, and requisites for the receipt of certain benefits.
Selfless service is a service which is performed without any expectation of result or award for performing it. Such services can be performed to benefit other human beings or society.
♦ ♦ ♦
Preference of the sacred cause over all worldly and animal desires; steadfastness in truth, once it has been discovered, to the degree that one sacrifices al mundane attachments for its sake; endurance in the face of all hardships to open the ways to the happiness of future generations; seeking happiness, not in material or even spiritual pleasures, but in the happiness and well-being of others; never aiming to obtain any posts or positions, preferring oneself to others in taking on work but preferring others to oneself in receiving wages these are the essentials of this sacred way of serving the truth. – M. Fethullah Gulen
Those who lead a way must set a good example for their followers. Just as they are imitated in their virtues and good morals, so too, their bad and improper actions and attitudes leave indelible marks upon those who follow them. – M. Fethullah Gulen
One who represents the truth in any stage must try to embody it himself, with honesty trustworthiness, consciousness of duty, high degree of perception, awareness of circumstances and far sightedness, and absolute chastity. It is a serious defect for anyone who holds office to be lacking in any of these virtues and bad luck for those who follow him. – M. Fethullah Gulen
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. – Mahatma Gandhi
That service is the noblest which is rendered for its own sake. – Mahatma Gandhi
Service which is rendered without joy helps neither the servant nor the served. But all other pleasures and possessions pale into nothingness before service which is rendered in a spirit of joy. – Mahatma Gandhi
As we lose ourselves in the service of others we discover our own lives and our own happiness. – Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world. – Howard Zinn
Always render more and better service than is expected of you, no matter what your task may be. – Og Mandino
All of your customers are partners in your mission. – Shep Hyken
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. – Mahatma Gandhi
Don’t feel bad if people remember you only when they need you. Feel privileged that you are like a candle that comes to their mind when there is darkness. – Anonymous
Service doesn’t have to be big and grandiose to be meaningful and make a difference. – Cheryl A. Esplin
Leadership is service, not position. – Tim Fargo
Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: What are you doing for others? – Martin Luther King
There is nothing small in the service of God. – Saint Francis De Sales
Earn your success based on service to others, not at the expense of others. – H. Jackson Brown Jr
There is incredible value in being of service to others. – Elizabeth Berg
If you want good service, serve yourself. – Proverbs
You have two hands. One to help yourself, the second to help others. – Audrey Hepburn
Without service, we would not have a strong quality of life. It’s important to the person who serves as well as the recipient. It’s the way in which we ourselves grow and develop. – Dr. Dorothy Height
Help the life of one person and you can help the community. – Steven Sawalich
To give real service, you must add something which cannot be bought or measures with money. – Douglas Adams
When you are in the service of your fellow beings you are in the service of God. – Anonymous
There are many wonderful things that will never be done if you don’t do them. – Charles D. Gill
Love in action is service to the world. – Lynne Namka
Being of service to others is what brings true happiness. – Marie Osmond
If you light a lamp for someone else it will also brighten your path. – Buddha
There’s real freedom that comes through service. – Anonymous
Love means to serve and to serve means to please. – Radhanath Swami
Replace selfish striving with selfless service. – ATGW
Everybody can be great because, everybody can serve. – Martin Luther King Jr
If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you many never even dream of. there is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person. – Fred Rogers
How wonderful is it that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. – Anne Frank
Do some selfless service for people who are in need. Consider the whole picture, not just our little selves. – Nina Hagen
I want to be remembered as a great friend, an outstanding father, an amazing husband, and a good soul who always strived to serve God and man. And during that time of service on earth, I would like people to think, He brought joy, love, opportunity, and fulfillment to millions of people. – Tony Robbins
A life of significance is about serving those who need your gifts, your leadership, your purpose. – Kevin Hall
If you really want to receive joy and happiness, then serve others with all your heart. Lift their burden, and your own burden will be lighter. – Ezra Taft Benson
Use your God-given gifts to serve others. – Anonymous
Our rewards in life will always be in direct ratio to our service. – Earl Nightingale
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. – Desmond Tutu
He profits most who serves best. – Arthur F. Sheldon
Give your hands to serve, and your hearts to love. – Mother Teresa
It’s easy to make a buck. It’s a lot tougher to make a difference. – Tom Brokaw
If you get, give. If you learn, teach. – Maya Angelou
The more we give away, the more is given to us. – Dr Wayne W Dyer
Wealth, like happiness, is never attained when sought after directly. It comes as a by-product of providing a useful service. – Henry Ford
The thing that lies at the foundation of positive change, the way I see it, is service to a fellow human being. – Lee Iacocca
Whoever renders service to many puts himself in line for greatness – great wealth, great return, great satisfaction, great reputation, and great joy. – Jim Rohn
Honor bespeaks worth. Confidence begets trust. Service brings satisfaction. Cooperation proves the quality of leadership. – James Cash Penney
Help others and give something back. I guarantee you will discover that while public service improves the lives and the world around you, its greatest reward is the enrichment and new meaning it will bring your own life. – Arnold Schwarzenegger
When we give what we can, and give it with joy, we don’t just renew the American tradition of giving, we also renew ourselves. – Bill Clinton
I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy. – Rabindranath Tagore
Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others. – Booker T. Washington
Joy can only be real if people look upon their life as a service and have a definite object in life outside themselves and their personal happiness. – Leo Tolstoy
There is no higher religion than human service. To work for the common good is the greatest creed. – Woodrow Wilson
When you dig another out of their troubles, you find a place to bury your own. – Author Unknown
To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. – Douglas Adams
You can start right where you stand and apply the habit of going the extra mile by rendering more service and better service than you are now being paid for. – Napoleon Hill
As far as service goes, it can take the form of a million things. To do service, you don’t have to be a doctor working in the slums for free, or become a social worker. Your position in life and what you do doesn’t matter as much as how you do what you do. – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Even if it’s a little thing, do something for those who have need of a man’s help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it. For, remember, you don’t live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too. – Albert Schweitzer
Don’t ever forget that you’re a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day. Civility, respect, kindness, character. – Aaron Sorkin
Start where you are. Distant fields always look greener, but opportunity lies right where you are. Take advantage of every opportunity of service. – Robert Collier
It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do little – do what you can. – Sydney Smith
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little. – Edmund Burke
Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest you. – Mother Teresa
If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito. – Betty Reese
I wondered why somebody didn’t do something. Then I realized, I am somebody. – Author Unknown
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. – Edward Everett Hale
So long as we love we serve; so long as we are loved by others, I would almost say that we are indispensable; and no man is useless while he has a friend. – Robert Louis Stevenson
Quote From Wikiquote
- Everything in our modern substitutes for religion—whether Baconian or Rousseauistic—will be found to converge upon the idea of service. The crucial question is whether one is safe in assuming that the immense machinery of power that has resulted from activity of the utilitarian type can be made, on anything like present lines, to serve disinterested ends; whether it will not rather minister to the egoistic aims either of national groups or of individuals.
- Irving Babbitt, “What I Believe” (1930), Irving Babbitt: Representative Writings (1981), pp. 7-8
- We are his,
To serve him nobly in the common cause,
True to the death, but not to be his slaves.
- William Cowper, The Task (1785), Book V, line 340.
- A master is embarrassed before his servant; a servant before his master. Only in the presence of his equals is a man entirely at his ease.
- Nikolay Chernyshevsky, Что делать? (1863, What is to be Done?), tr. Nathan Haskell Dole (1886), p. 376.
- The rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones are tyrants over them. It will not be so among you; but whoever wishes to be great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you must be your slave; just as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve.
- Jesus as reported in Matthew 20:25-27.
- Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
- Matthew 6:19–21,24 (KJV)
- A servant is the true reflection of his master.
- Arthur M. Jolly, in the play The Lady Demands Satisfaction, (2018)
- Servant of God, well done.
- John Milton, Paradise Lost (1667; 1674), Book VI, line 29.
- Master, go on, and I will follow thee,
To the last gasp, with truth and loyalty.
- William Shakespeare, As You Like It (c.1599-1600), Act II, scene 3, line 69.
- I am an ass, indeed, you may prove it by my long ears. I have served him from the hour of my nativity to this instant, and have nothing at his hands for my service but blows. When I am cold, he heats me with beating.
- William Shakespeare, The Comedy of Errors, Act IV, scene 4, line 29.
- Had I but serv’d my God with half the zeal
I serv’d my king, he would not in mine age
Have left me naked to mine enemies.
- William Shakespeare, Henry VIII (c. 1613), Act III, scene 2, line 455.
- We cannot all be masters, nor all masters cannot be truly followed.
- William Shakespeare, Othello (c. 1603), Act I, scene 1, line 43.
- My heart is ever at your service.
- William Shakespeare, Timon of Athens (date uncertain, published 1623), Act I, scene 2, line 76.
- The swallow follows not summer more willing than we your lordship.
- William Shakespeare, Timon of Athens (date uncertain, published 1623), Act III, scene 6, line 31.
- You know that love
Will creep in service where it cannot go.
- William Shakespeare, The Two Gentlemen of Verona (1590s), Act IV, scene 2, line 19.
- Ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.
- John F. Kennedy, Inaugural address, Washington D.C. (20 January 1961)
- Understanding who you serve is always a very important problem, and it only gets harder the more people that you serve. We try to pay a lot of attention to this by a combination of very rigorous quantitative and qualitative feedback. But if you’re serving 1.2 billion people, it’s very hard.
- Mark Zuckerberg, nytimes.com
- If I had always served God as I have served you, Madam, I should not have a great account to render at my death.
- Francis Bacon, Life and Times of Francis the First, Volume I, p. 46, of ed. 2.
- And Master Kingston, this I will say—had I but served God as diligently as I have served the king, he would not have given me over in my grey hairs.
- Pierre de Bourdeille (Brantome), quoting Thomas Cromwell to his keeper.
- When I have attempted to join myself to others by services, it proved an intellectual trick,—no more. They eat your service like apples, and leave you out. But love them, and they feel you, and delight in you all the time.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Essays, Of Gifts.
- Had I but written as many odes in praise of Muhammad and Ali as I have composed for King Mahmud, they would have showered a hundred blessings on me.
- Is thy servant a dog, that he should do this great thing?
- II Kings, VIII. 13.
- “Sidney Godolphin,” said Charles (II), “is never in the way and never out of the way.”
- Thomas Babington Macaulay, 1st Baron Macaulay, History of England, Volume I, p. 265. Cabinet Ed. Phrase used later to describe a good valet.
- Who seeks for aid
Must show how service sought can be repaid.
- Owen Meredith (Lord Lytton), Siege of Constantinople.
- They also serve who only stand and wait.
- John Milton, Sonnet, On his Blindness.
- Compare “Patience is also a form of action.” Attributed to Auguste Rodin in: Leonard William Doob (1990). Hesitation: Impulsivity and Reflection. p. 124
- They serve God well,
Who serve his creatures.
- Mrs. Norton, The Lady of La Garaye, Conclusion, line 9.
- God curse Moawiyah. If I had served God so well as I have served him, he would never have damned me to all eternity.
- Found in Ockley’s History of the Saracens. An. Hegira 54, A. D. 673.
- I am ashamed of my master and not of my servitude.
- Seneca the Younger, Troades, 989.
- Small service is true service while it lasts:
Of humblest friends, bright Creature! scorn not one;
The Daisy, by the shadow that it casts,
Protects the lingering dew drop from the Sun.
- William Wordsworth, To a Child, Written in Her Album.