Spirituality is unique to each individual. Your “spirit” usually refers to the deepest part of you, the part that lets you make meaning of your world. Your spirit provides you with the revealing sense of who you are, why you are here and what your purpose for living is. It is that innermost part of you that allows you to gain strength and hope.
Spiritual wellness may not be something that you think much of, yet its impact on your life is unavoidable. The basis of spirituality is discovering a sense of meaningfulness in your life and coming to know that you have a purpose to fulfill.
For some, spirituality may be equated with traditional religions such as Christianity, Hinduism or Buddhism. For others, it may mean growing in your personal relationships with others, or through being at peace with nature.
Assessing Your Spiritual Health
Where are you at in your spiritual life? Take a moment to reflect…do you feel a sense of worth, hope, purpose, commitment or peace? Do you have a positive outlook on life? Or do you experience feelings of emptiness, anxiety, hopelessness, apathy or conflict? These may be signs of spiritual poverty in your life and may be the reason for unhappiness or dissatisfaction.
Spirituality and Wellness
Many wellness behaviours can benefit your spiritual health. Such behaviours include feeling connected with others, feeling part of a community, volunteering, having an optimistic attitude, contributing to society and self -love/care.
Improving Your Spiritual Health
Here are some ways to help improve your spiritual health:
- Be quiet. Take time for yourself every day, even if it’s just before you go to sleep, or when you’re driving home.
- Be open. Spiritual experiences can happen anywhere at any time.
- Practice being non-judgmental and having an open mind
- Be receptive to pain or times of sorrow. It is often in these times when we discover how spirituality can help us cope.
- Practice forgiveness
- Pray, meditate or worship
- Live joyfully
- Allow yourself to believe in things, that aren’t easily explainable