Musnad Ahmad ibn Hanbal
It is one of the largest hadith book written in Islamic History containing more than twenty seven thousand (27000) hadiths according to Maktaba Shamila. It is organized into compilations of the hadiths narrated by each Companion (Sahabi), starting with the ‘asharah mubashsharah (“the ten who were promised Paradise”). This highlights their status and the efforts they made to preserve the ahadeeth of the Messenger of Allah.
It is said by some that Ahmad ibn Hanbal made a comment in regard to his book which reads as follows: “I have only included a hadith in this book if it had been used as evidence by some of the scholars.” Abu al-Faraj Ibn al-Jawzi ironically claimed that the Musnad contains hadiths that are fabricated by interpolation (i.e. the narrator jumbling up information, mixing texts and authoritative chains), which were said to be nine Hadiths by some, or fifteen hadiths by some others. However, it is agreed that the hadith that are suspected to be fabricated are not new hadiths that are creations of a dubious narrator’s imagination.
The book has been published by many organizations around the world, including:
- Musnad Imam Ahmad Bin Muhammad Bin Hanbal: Published: Noor Foundation USA
- English Translation Of Musnad Imam Ahmad Bin Hanbal (5 Vols) : Published: Darussalam
Main article: List of Sunni Books
- Sahih Bukhari (English)
- Sahih Muslim (English)
- Sunan Abu Dawud
- Jami al-Tirmidhi
- Sunan an-Nasa’i
- Sunan ibn Majah
- Other Primary/Major Collections (Primary Hadith books are those books which are collected and written by author or their students themselves).
- Brown, Jonathan A.C. (2014). Misquoting Muhammad: The Challenge and Choices of Interpreting the Prophet’s Legacy. Oneworld Publications. p. 41. ISBN 978-1780744209.
- “Musnad Imam Ahmad Bin Hanbal (3 vol)”. www.islamguide.dk. Retrieved Apr 30, 2019.
- Fatawa of Ibn Taimiya, vol 1, page 248.
- “Musnad Imam Ahmad Bin Muhammad Bin Hanbal: Codification According to the Subject Heading – Volume 2 (Hardcover)”. www.booksinc.net. ISBN 9780963206749. Retrieved Apr 30, 2019.
- “English Translation of Musnad Imam Ahmad Bin Hanbal Vol 5 (Hadith 6031-7624),9786035004282,”. Retrieved May 5, 2020.
Adapted from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia