We have collected and put the best Kindness quotes about the meaning of life from around the world. Enjoy reading these insights and feel free to share this page on your social media to inspire others.
Kindness refers to actions and behavior marked by concern for others welfare, comfort and happiness. It is embraced as a vitally important ethical virtue in most societies, religions, philosophies and cultures.
Kindness is the act or the state of being kind, being marked by good and charitable behavior, pleasant disposition, and concern for others. It is known as a virtue, and recognized as a value in many cultures and religions (see ethics in religion).
Kindness is wisdom. – Philip James Bailey
Kindness gives birth to kindness. – Sophocles
Kindness is a sort of love without being love. – Susan Hill
Kindness, like a boomerang, always returns. – Unknown
Kindness is always fashionable, and always welcome. – Amelia Barr
Kindness is an everyday byproduct of all the great virtues. – Krista Tippett
Kindness is in our power, even when fondness is not. – Samuel Johnson
Kindness is loving people more than they deserve. – Joseph Joubert
Kindness is loving people more than they deserve. – Joseph Joubert
Kindness, I’ve discovered, is everything in life. – Isaac Bashevis Singer
Kindness eases everything almost as much as money does. – Mason Cooley
Kindness and empathy. Two things that make a person a hero. – Juansen Dizon
Kindness can become its own motive. We are made kind by being kind. – Eric Hoffer
Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. – Mark Twain
Kindness and politeness are not overrated at all. They’re underused. – Tommy Lee Jones
Kindness is more than deeds. It is anything that lifts another person. – C. Neil Strait
Kindness and a generous spirit go a long way. And a sense of humor. It’s like medicine – very healing. – Max Irons
Kindness has converted more sinners than zeal, eloquence, or learning. – Frederick William Faber
Kindness is the sunshine in which virtue grows. – Robert Green Ingersoll
Kindness in ourselves is the honey that blunts the sting of unkindness in another. – Walter Savage Landor
Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love. – Lao Tzu
Kindness is a passport that opens doors and fashions friends. It softens hearts and molds relationships that can last lifetimes. – Joseph B. Wirthlin
Kindness is a silent smile, a friendly word, a nod of encouragement. Kindness is the single most powerful thing we can teach children. – Raktivist
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom. – Theodore Isaac Rubin
Kindness is not a business. True kindness expects nothing in return and should never act with conditions. – Roy T. Bennett
Kindness is not about instant gratification. More often, it’s akin to a low-risk investment that appreciates steadily over time. – Josh Radnor
Kindness is really important to me in finding my own prince – so are patience and a sense of humor. Without those qualities he’s no Prince Charming!” – Anne Hathaway
Kindness is showing love to someone else. I believe that kindness is the cure to violence and hatred around the world. – Lady Gaga
Kindness is something that I feel is leaving us a little bit – people are getting more self-involved. – Cobie Smulders
Kindness is the essence of greatness and the fundamental characteristic of the noblest men and women I have known. – Joseph B. Wirthlin
Kindness is the light that dissolves all walls between souls, families, and nations. – Paramahansa Yogananda
Kindness makes a fellow feel good whether it’s being done to him or by him. – Frank A. Clark
Kindness makes you the most beautiful person in the world, no matter what you look like. – Unknown
Kindness should never be taken for granted because even the nicest people have their limits. – Keanu Reeves
Kindness trumps greed: it asks for sharing. Kindness trumps fear: it calls forth gratefulness and love. Kindness trumps even stupidity, for with sharing and love, one learns. – Marc Estrin
Kindness and intelligence don’t always deliver us from the pitfalls and traps: there are always failures of love, of will, of imagination. There is no way to take the danger out of human relationships. – Barbara Grizzuti Harrison
Be kind but with spine. – Karen Salmansohn
Be kind to unkind people, they need it the most. – Robin Williams
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. – Dalai Lama
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. – Plato
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle. – Plato
A friendly look, a kindly smile, one good act, and life’s worthwhile. – Unknown
A great man shows his greatness by the way he treats little men. – Thomas Carlyle
A great many men’s gratitude is nothing but a secret desire to hook in more valuable kindnesses hereafter. – Francois de La Rochefoucauld
A kind and compassionate act is often its own reward. – William John Bennet
A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles. – Washington Irving
A kindness received should be returned with a freer hand. – Saint Ambrose
A little thought and a little kindness are often worth more than a great deal of money. – John Ruskin
A person is a person no matter how small. – Dr. Seuss
A warm smile is the universal language of kindness. – William Arthur Ward
Act with kindness, but do not expect gratitude. – Confucius
Ah Kindness, what a simple way to tell another struggling soul that there is love to be found in the world. – A.A. Malee
All I’m saying is, kindness don’t have no boundaries. – Kathryn Stockett
Always be a little kinder than necessary. – J.M. Barrie
Always be a little kinder than necessary. – James M. Barrie
Always be nice to your children because they are the ones who will choose your rest home. –
An egoist lives in poverty. A kind person lives in abundance. – Maxime Lagace
As I’ve gotten older, I’ve had more of a tendency to look for people who live by kindness, tolerance, compassion, a gentler way of looking at things. – Martin Scorsese
As much as we need a prosperous economy, we also need a prosperity of kindness and decency. – Caroline Kennedy
Ask yourself: Have you been kind today? Make kindness your daily modus operandi and change your world. – Annie Lennox
Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely. Roy T. Bennett
Be a little kinder than you have to. – E. Lockhart
Be a Rockstar at kindness. – Unknown
Be nice to strangers. Be nice even when it doesn’t matter. – Sam Altman
Be silly, be honest, be kind. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Be somebody who makes everybody feel like a somebody. – Courtney Shields
Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster. Your life will never be the same again. – Og Mandino
Being kind isn’t a sign of weakness — you gotta be strong to be kind. – Mike Tyson
Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you. – Princess Diana
Compassion is the signature of Higher Consciousness. Non-violence is the tool to evolve into the Higher Consciousness. – Amit Ray
Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy. – Marcus Aurelius
Conquer the angry one by not getting angry; conquer the wicked by goodness; conquer the stingy by generosity, and the liar by speaking the truth. – Buddha
Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate. – Albert Schweitzer
Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can. – John Wesley
Do your little bit of good where you are: it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. – Karen Duffy
Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. – Desmond Tutu
Every day, some act of kindness comes my way, even if it’s just someone opening the door. It happens every day if you keep an eye out for it. Keeping an eye out, that’s the key. – Aaron Neville
Every minute of every hour of every day you are making the world, just as you are making yourself, and you might as well do it with generosity and kindness and style. – Rebecca Solnit
Every word matters. Speak kindly. – Unknown
Everyone responds to kindness. – Richard Gere
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always. – Robin Williams
Extend yourself in kindness to other human being wherever you can. – Oprah Winfrey
First and foremost, we need to be the adults we want our children to be. We should watch our own gossiping and anger. We should model the kindness we want to see. – Brene Brown
For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others. For beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness. And for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone. – Audrey Hepburn
For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others: for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone. – Audrey Hepburn
Gentleness, self-sacrifice and generosity are the exclusive possession of no one race or religion. – Mahatma Gandhi
Good people can get you out of a thousand problems with charm and kindness. – Anouska Hempel
Goodness is about character – integrity, honesty, kindness, generosity, moral courage, and the like. More than anything else, it is about how we treat other people. – Dennis Prager Inspirational Quotes About Kindness
Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse. – Henry Van Dyke
Great man shows his greatness by the way he treats little men. – Thomas Carlyle
Great persons are able to do great kindnesses. – Miguel de Cervantes
Harshness and unkindness are relative. The appearance of them may be the fruits of the greatest kindness. – William Godwin
Have you had a kindness shown? Pass it on; ‘Twas not given for thee alone, Pass it on; Let it travel down the years, Let it wipe another’s tears, Till in Heaven the deed appears, Pass it on. – Henry Burton
Here are the values that I stand for: honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. – Ellen DeGeneres
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it. – George Elliston
How do we change the world? One random act of kindness at a time. – Morgan Freeman
I actually think that the most efficacious way of making a difference is to lead by example, and doing random acts of kindness is setting a very good example of how to behave in the world. – Misha Collins
I admire the fact that the central core of Buddhist teaching involves mindfulness and loving kindness and compassion. – Ron Reagan
I always say that kindness is the greatest beauty that you can have. – Andie MacDowell
I am not and never will be perfect. I am not always as honest, respectful, responsible, fair or as kind as I should be. All I can do is what I should do: strive every day, with every decision to be the best person I can be. I don’t expect to be perfect but I know I can be better. – Michael Josephson
I believe in kindness. Also in mischief. Also in singing, especially when singing is not necessarily prescribed. – Mary Oliver
I believe in the will. I believe in discipline. I believe in the organization. I believe in the rigor that gives us work. I believe in love as an engine of all things. I believe in the light, believe in God. I believe in kindness. – Edgar Ramirez
I don’t worry about people misinterpreting my kindness for weakness. – Jason Bateman
I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels. – Pearl S. Buck
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. – Kahlil Gibran
I have never met a person whose greatest need was anything other than real, unconditional love. You can find it in a simple act of kindness toward someone who needs help. There is no mistaking love. You feel it in your heart. It is the common fiber of life, the flame that heals our soul, energizes our spirit and supplies passion to our lives. It is our connection to God and to each other. – Elizabeth Kubler-Ross
I have understood that the most important things are tenderness and kindness. I can’t do without them. – Brigitte Bardot
I hope you will be wise, and that you will always be kind. – Neil Gaiman
I like kindness. Who doesn’t? Life is definitely too short for self-centered, abusive people. – Ellen Greene
I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit. – Kahlil Gibran
I realized that social media can be a powerful force for good in the world and that acts of kindness can be scaled globally. – Amy Jo Martin
I think people are willing to talk about anything if you come to it with kindness. – Jacqueline Woodson
I think true success is intrinsic… It’s love. It’s kindness. It’s community. – Tom Shadyac
If someone is too tired to give you a smile, leave one of your own, because no one needs a smile as much as those who have none to give. – Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch
If we all do one random act of kindness daily, we just might set the world in the right direction. – Martin Kornfeld
If you have an impulse to kindness, act on it. – Douglas Coupland
If you live your life with kindness and giving other people great energy, that beauty and great energy will come back to you. – Beyonce
If your compassion does not include yourself, it’s incomplete. – Buddha
Ignorant kindness may have the effect of cruelty; but to be angry with it as if it were direct cruelty would be an ignorant unkindness. – George Eliot
In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us. – Flora Edwards
It is only after one is in trouble that one realizes how little sympathy and kindness there are in the world. – Nellie Bly
It is still breathtaking to me to watch people bring love, preciousness, and kindness to their inner world, allowing the light of God to shine through their eyes so that the beauty of their soul can come forth. – Debbie Ford
It really shocks me when I encounter people who think kindness doesn’t matter. Because I think it’s pretty much the only thing that matters. – Josh Radnor
I’m a big believer in acts of kindness, no matter how small. – Liam Neeson
I’m honest and fair, but I don’t dispense false kindness. – Steve Easterbrook
Just imagine how different the world could be if we all spoke to everyone with respect and kindness. – Holly Branson
Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless. – Mother Teresa
Kind words do not cost much. They never blister the tongue or lips. They make other people good-natured. They also produce their own image on men’s souls, and a beautiful image it is. – Blaise Pascal
Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. – Blaise Pascal
Kindly words do not enter so deeply into men as a reputation for kindness. – Mencius
Lead the life that will make you kindly and friendly to everyone about you, and you will be surprised what a happy life you will lead. – Charles M. Schwab
Let us learn to live with kindness, to love everyone, even when they do not love us. – Pope Francis
Life becomes easier and more beautiful when we can see the good in other people. – Roy T. Bennett
Life is short and we have never too much time for gladdening the hearts of those who are travelling the dark journey with us. Oh be swift to love, make haste to be kind. – Henri Frederic Amiel
Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver. – Barbara De Angelis
Love and kindness go hand in hand. – Marian Keyes
My dad worked for Nestle for years and ended up being the mayor of our hometown. One of the lessons I learned from him was to never mistake kindness for weakness. – Brad D. Smith
My grandmother told me that every good thing I do helps some human being in the world. I believed her years ago, and I still do. – Maya Angelou
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness. – Dalai Lama
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness. – Dalai Lama XIV
My religious philosophy is kindness. Try to be kind. That’s something worth achieving. – Pierce Brosnan
Never look down on anybody unless you re helping them up. – Jesse Jackson
Never look down on anybody unless you’re helping them up. – Jesse Jackson
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. – Aesop
No beauty shines brighter than that of a good heart. – Unknown
No kind action ever stops with itself. One kind action leads to another. Good example is followed. A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves. – Amelia Earhart
No matter what happens in life, be good to people. Being good to people is a wonderful legacy to leave behind. – Taylor Swift
No one has ever become poor by giving. – Anne Frank
Not only do I think being nice and kind is easy, but being kind, in my opinion, is important. – Dwayne Johnson
Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength. – Saint Francis de Sales
Oh be swift to live, make haste to be kind. – Henri-Frederic Amiel
One man practicing kindness in the wilderness is worth all the temples this world pulls. – Jack Kerouac
One of the toughest things for leaders to master is kindness. Kindness shares credit and offers enthusiastic praise for others’ work. It’s a balancing act between being genuinely kind and not looking weak. – Travis Bradberry
One who knows how to show and to accept kindness will be a friend better than any possession. –
One who knows how to show and to accept kindness will be a friend better than any possession. – Sophocles
Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile. – Albert Einstein
Our days are happier when we give people a piece of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. – Unknown Author
People just take your kindness for weakness sometimes, and that’s just the bottom line. – Ruben Studdard
Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty. – Anne Herbert
Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end. – Scott Adams
Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others. – Christopher Germer
Simple kindness may be the most vital key to the riddle of how human beings can live with each other in peace, and care properly for this planet we all share. – Bo Lozoff
Since my boyhood, I have sought always to please, but out of a kindness in me, never out of fear or respect for what was in others. – Ben Hecht
So many gods, so many creeds, so many paths that wind and wind, while just the art of being kind is all the sad world needs. – Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Spread love everywhere you go: First of all in your own house…kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness. – Mother Teresa
Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution. – Kahlil Gibran
The end result of kindness is that it draws people to you. – Anita Roddick
The everyday kindness of the back roads more than makes up for the acts of greed in the headlines. – Charles Kuralt
The first thing a kindness deserves is acceptance, the second, transmission. – George MacDonald
The ideals which have always shone before me and filled me with joy are goodness, beauty, and truth. – Albert Einstein
The kindness that’s been shown to me, by doctors as well as my family and my friends, it’s really saved my life. – Lady Gaga
The only way to tell the truth is to speak with kindness. Only the words of a loving man can be heard. – Henry David Thoreau
The qualities I most admire in women are confidence and kindness. – Oscar de la Renta
The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention. – Kahlil Gibran
The universe rejoices whenever a kind word is spoken. – Philip Arnold
The way I stand up to bullies is with kindness and love. Because I think that’s what they really need. They’re misunderstood and probably really upset themselves. – Chrissy Metz
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. – Mahatma Gandhi
The wonderful thing is that it’s so incredibly easy to be kind. – Ingrid Newkirk
The words of kindness are more healing to a drooping heart than balm or honey. – Sarah Fielding
There are many reasons for kindness, and religion is just one of them. – Frans de Waal
There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness. – Dalai Lama
There is no substitute for kindness in the home. This lesson I learned from my father. He always listened to my mother’s advice. As a result, he was a better, wiser, and kinder man. – Joseph B. Wirthlin
There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people. – Vincent Van Gogh
There’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end. – Scott Adams
There’s no use doing a kindness if you do it a day too late. – Charles Kingsley
There’s nothing so kingly as kindness, and nothing so royal as truth. – Alice Cary
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness. – Dalai Lama
Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others, cannot keep it from themselves. – James M. Barrie
Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. – James Matthew
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind, the second is to be kind, and the third is to be kind. – Henry James
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind. – Henry James
Throw kindness around like confetti. – Unknown
To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue; these five are gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness. – Confucius
To repay evils with kindness is the religion I was taught to practise, and this will forever be my rule. – John James Audubon
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true. – Robert Brault
Together we can change the world, just one random act of kindness at a time. – Ron Hall
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. – Leo Buscaglia
Treat everyone with respect and kindness. Period. No exceptions. – Kiana Tom
True beauty is born through our actions and aspirations and in the kindness we offer to others. – Alek Wek
True popularity comes from acts of kindness rather than acts of stupidity. – Bo Bennett
Try to be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud. – Maya Angelou
We can’t heal the world today, but we can begin with a voice of compassion, a heart of love, and an act of kindness. – Mary Davis
We need more kindness, more compassion, more joy, more laughter. I definitely want to contribute to that. – Ellen DeGeneres
We often wait for kindness but being kind to yourself can start now. – Unknown
We ought to do good to others as simply as a horse runs, or a bee makes honey, or a vine bears grapes, season after season without thinking of the grapes it has borne. – Marcus Aurelius
We rise by lifting others. – Robert Ingersoll
What I’m looking for in people now is kindness. – Robin Wright
What this world needs is a new kind of army – the army of the kind. – Cleveland Amory
What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness? – Jean-Jacques Rousseau
When kindness has left people, even for a few moments, we become afraid of them as if their reason had left them. When it has left a place where we have always found it, it is like shipwreck; we drop from security into something malevolent and bottomless. – Willa Cather
When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed. Maya Angelou
When we seek to discover the best in others, we somehow bring out the best in ourselves. – William Arthur Ward
When words are both true and kind, they can change the world. – Buddha
When you are kind to others, it not only changes you, it changes the world. – Harold Kushner
When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they’ll remember and be kind to someone else. And it’ll become like a wildfire. – Whoopi Goldberg
When you are young you take the kindness people show you as your right. – W. Somerset Maugham
When you carry out acts of kindness you get a wonderful feeling inside. It is as though something inside your body responds and says, yes, this is how I ought to feel. – Harold Kushner
When you carry out acts of kindness, you get a wonderful feeling inside. It is as though something inside your body responds and says, yes, this is how I ought to feel. – Harold Kushner
Wherever there is a human being there is an opportunity for kindness. – Seneca
Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness. – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
You can accomplish by kindness what you cannot by force. – Publilius Syrus
You can be rich in spirit, kindness, love, and all those things that you can’t put a dollar sign on. – Dolly Parton
You can tell by the kindness of a dog how a human should be. – Captain Beefheart
You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
You cannot do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be. – Nelson Mandela
You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. – Jane Goodall
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. – Mahatma Gandhi
Your acts of kindness are iridescent wings of divine love, which linger and continue to uplift others long after your sharing. – Rumi
Quotations From Wikiquote
- No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
- Aesop. The Lion and the Mouse.
- Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.
- Scott Adams, in “A Kind Word”, in DNRC Newsletter #9 (December 1995).
- Kindness is wisdom. There is none in life
But needs it and may learn.
- Philip James Bailey, Festus (1813), scene Home.
- Both man and womankind belie their nature
When they are not kind.
- Philip James Bailey, Festus (1813), scene Home.
- Shall we make a new rule of life from tonight: always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary?
- J. M. Barrie in The Little White Bird (1902).
- KINDNESS, n. A brief preface to ten volumes of exaction.
- Ambrose Bierce, The Cynic’s Dictionary (1906); republished as The Devil’s Dictionary (1911).
- The style of kindness has changed.
- Louise Burfitt-Dons in speech to World Kindness Movement (November 2007).
- I would help others out of a fellow-feeling.
- Robert Burton, The Anatomy of Melancholy (1621), Democritus to the Reader.
- Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia, quoted in Words from the Wise : Over 6,000 of the Smartest Things Ever Said (2007) by Rosemarie Jarski.
- You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
- Al Capone, as quoted in Forbes (6 October 1986).
- Sed tamen difficile dictu est, quantopere conciliat animos hominum comitas affabilitasque sermonis.
- It is difficult to tell how much men’s minds are conciliated by a kind manner and gentle speech.
- Cicero, De Officiis (44 CE), II. 14.
- The loving-kindness of Jehovah is from time indefinite even to time indefinite toward those fearing him, and his righteousness to the sons of sons.
- David, Psalms 103:17, NWT
- He never raised his voice. That was the worst thing — the fury of the Time Lord. And then we discovered why — why this Doctor, who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden… He was being kind.
- Paul Cornell, in “The Family of Blood” about the 10th incarnation of the Doctor in the Doctor Who series.
- Life is made up, not of great sacrifices or duties, but of little things, in which smiles and kindnesses and small obligations, given habitually, are what win and preserve the heart, and secure comfort.
- Sir Humphry Davy, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 363.
- So my heart advice will be to really be kind-hearted, to be a good hearted person. Whether you are Buddhist or not – there is really no need for me to convince anyone to become a Buddhist. If your mind is very pure and always has positive thinking, this is good – try not to ever go into the side of negative thinking! For example, if you find that someone looks at you and you think “Do they mean something bad to me? Do they think something bad about me?” Don’t even go into that! Just smile back. Just be pure. As pure as you can. Your heart should be pure and really open to everyone. So smile back at people that you think might not like you. This is something that you have, that’s possible. We can all totally be a kind hearted person with positive thinking and pure heart. Everyone is able to do that, whether you are Buddhist or not. This is my heart advice.”
- Jetsunma Jamyang Drolma The Enthronement of Jetsunma Jamyang Drolma
- Kindness by secret sympathy is tied;
For noble souls in nature are allied.
- John Dryden, Aureng-Zebe: A Tragedy (1675), Act IV, scene i.
- The ideals that have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth. Without the sense of kinship with men of like mind, without the occupation with the objective world, the eternally unattainable in the field of art and scientific endeavours, life would have seemed empty to me. The trite objects of human efforts – possessions, outward success, luxury – have always seemed to me contemptible.
- Albert Einstein in My Worldview (My World-view) (1931)
- Kindness has converted more sinners than either zeal, eloquence, or learning.
- Frederick William Faber, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 363.
- Their cause I plead — plead it in heart and mind;
A fellow-feeling makes one wondrous kind.
- David Garrick, Epilogue on Quitting the Stage (June, 1776).
- I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
- Attributed to Stephen Grellet , variants of this have been been widely circulated as a Quaker saying since at least 1869, and attributed Grellet since at least 1893. W. Gurney Benham in Benham’s Book of Quotations, Proverbs, and Household Words (1907) states that though sometimes attributed to others, “there seems to be some authority in favor of Stephen Grellet being the author, but the passage does not appear in any of his printed works.” It appears to have been published as an anonymous proverb at least as early as 1859, when it appeared in Household Words : A Weekly Journal.
- Variant: I expect to pass through this life but once. If therefore there be any kindnesses I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow beings, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
- Attributed to Anna B. Hegeman, as reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 362.
- My true religion is Kindness.
- Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama, Kindness, Clarity, and Insight (1984).
- Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn’t anyone who doesn’t appreciate kindness and compassion.
- Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama, The Dalai Lama : A Policy of Kindness (1990), “Kindness and Compassion”, p. 47.
- This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.
- Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama, The Dalai Lama : A Policy of Kindness (1990), “Kindness and Compassion”, p. 52.
- Care about the beings you care about in gorgeous and surprising ways. Color outside the lines. Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty. This is your last chance.
- Anne Herbert in “Handy tips on how to behave at the death of the world” in Whole Earth Review (Spring 1995).
- It is a little embarrassing that after forty-five years of research and study, the best advice I can give people is to be a little kinder to each other
- Aldous Huxley in This Timeless Moment: A Personal View of Aldous Huxley (1968), by Laura Archera Huxley, p.117.
- Raiden: I was just trying not to…
- Rose : What? “Trying not to hurt me?” Dear, the one you were trying not to hurt was yourself! Avoiding the truth under the guise of “kindness” is all that you did! It occurred to you to do nothing but look out for yourself. Even if you claim that it was for my sake, that feeling was nowhere to be seen. In the end, everything was for your sake… I was never part of the picture.
- Metal Gear Solid 2 written by Hideo Kojima and Tomokazu Fukushima
- And if you ask what is the temper which is most fitted to be victorious over sin on earth, I answer that in it the warp of a sunny gentleness must be woven across the woof of a strong character. That will make the best tissue to stand the wear and tear of the world’s trials. Our Lord was divinely gentle, but He was also strong with a wondrous strength and firmness.
- W. H. Littleton, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 255.
- Though he was rough, he was kindly.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, The Courtship of Miles Standish (1858), Part III.
- The greater the kindred is, the lesse the kindnesse must bee.
- John Lyly, Mother Bombie (published 1594), Act III, scene 1.
- Seek to mingle gentleness in all your rebukes; bear with the infirmities of others; make allowance for constitutional frailties; never say harsh things, if kind things will do as well.
- J. R. MacDuff, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 256.
- Just because an animal is large, it doesn’t mean he doesn’t want kindness; however big Tigger seems to be, remember that he wants as much kindness as Roo.
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner.
- Va, dans ce monde, il faut être un peu trop bon pour l’être assez.
- Come, in this world, one has to be a little too kind to be kind enough.
- Pierre de Marivaux, The Game of Love and Chance (1730), Act I, Scene II
- Come, in this world, one has to be a little too kind to be kind enough.
- Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever has not kindness has not faith.
- Muhammad, as quoted in Al-Islam (1926) by Khwajah Kamal al-Din, p. 47.
- There is a reward for kindness to every living animal or human.
- Muhammad narrated in Saheeh Muslim, #2244, and Saheeh Al-Bukhari, #2466.
- We cannot be too gentle, too kind. Shun even to appear harsh in your treatment of each other. Joy, radiant joy, streams from the face of one who gives and kindles joy in the heart of one who receives. All condemnation is from the devil. Never condemn each other, not even those whom you catch committing an evil deed. We condemn others only because we shun knowing ourselves. When we gaze at our own failings, we see such a morass of filth that nothing in another can equal it. That is why we turn away, and make much of the faults of others. Keep away from the spilling of speech. Instead of condemning others, strive to reach inner peace. Keep silent, refrain from judgement. This will raise you above the deadly arrows of slander, insult, outrage, and will shield your glowing hearts against the evil that creeps around.
- Seraphim of Sarov Meadows, Mel (2010). A novel Uzzah. Lulu.com. p. 76. ISBN 9780557229918.
- A little more than kin, and less than kind.
- William Shakespeare, Hamlet (1600-02), Act I, scene 2, line 65.
- When your head did but ache,
I knit my handkerchief about your brows,
The best I had, a princess wrought it me,
And I did never ask it you again;
And with my hand at midnight held your head,
And, like the watchful minutes to the hour,
Still and anon cheer’d up the heavy time,
Saying, “What lack you?” and, “Where lies your grief?”
- William Shakespeare, King John (1598), Act IV, scene 1, line 41.
- Yet do I fear thy nature;
It is too full o’ the milk of human kindness.
- William Shakespeare, Macbeth (1605), Act I, scene 5, line 14.
- For kindness begets kindness evermore,
But he from whose mind fades the memory
Of benefits, noble is he no more.
- Sophocles Ajax Line 522.
- Deeds of kindness are equal in weight to all the commandments.
- Therefore, seeing that we are to receive a Kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us continue to receive undeserved kindness, through which we may acceptably offer God sacred service with godly fear and awe.
- Paul of Tarsus, Hebrews 12:28, NWT
- This world is not for the poor, nor the next for the unkind.
- Tiruvalluvar in the Thirukkural 247.
- On that best portion of a good man’s life,
His little, nameless, unremembered acts
Of kindness and of love.
- William Wordsworth, Lines Composed Above Tintern Abbey (1798).
- Have you had a kindness shown?
Pass it on;
‘Twas not given for thee alone,
Pass it on;
Let it travel down the years,
Let it wipe another’s tears,
‘Till in Heaven the deed appears—
Pass it on.
- Rev. Henry Burton, Pass It On.
- And Heaven, that every virtue bears in mind,
E’en to the ashes of the just is kind.
- Homer, The Iliad, Book XXIV, line 523. Pope’s translation.
- There’s no dearth of kindness
In this world of ours;
Only in our blindness
We gather thorns for flowers.
- Gerald Massey, There’s no Dearth of Kindness.
- Colubram sustulit
Sinuque fovet, contra se ipse misericors.
- He carried and nourished in his breast a snake, tender-hearted against his own interest.
- Phaedrus, Fables, Book IV. 18.
- Sociis atque amicis auxilia portabant Romani, magisque dandis quam accipiundis beneficiis amicitias parabant.
- The Romans assisted their allies and friends, and acquired friendships by giving rather than receiving kindness.
- Sallust, Catilina, VI.
- Ubicumque homo est, ibi beneficio locus est.
- Wherever there is a human being there is an opportunity for a kindness.
- Seneca the Younger, De Vita Beata, Ch. XXIV.
- Bis gratum est, quod dato opus est, ultro si offeras.
- If what must be given is given willingly the kindness is doubled.
- Syrus, Maxims.
- Pars beneficii est, quod petitur, si cito neges.
- It is kindness immediately to refuse what you intend to deny.
- Syrus, Maxims.