101. Al-Qari’ah (The Calamity or The Sudden, Mighty Strike)
This sūrah of 11 verses was revealed in Makkah. It takes its name from the word Al-Qari’ah or Al-Qaari’ah (The Calamity or the sudden, mighty strike) in its first verse. It is about the dreadful occurrences on the Day of Resurrection, and the end of good and evil.
In the Name of God, the All-Merciful, the All-Compassionate.
1. The sudden, mighty strike!
2. What is the sudden, mighty strike?
3. What enables you to perceive what the sudden, mighty strike is?
4. The day (when it occurs) humans will be like moths scattered about;
5. And the mountains will be like carded wool.1
6. And then, the one whose scales are heavy (with faith and good deeds),
7. He will be in a life of contentment.
8. But the one whose scales are light (as devoid of faith and accepted good deeds),
9. He will have his home in a bottomless pit.
10. What enables you to perceive what it is?
11. It is a fire burning fiercely.
1. These verses relate some of the dreadful events that will take place during the destruction of the world. The following verses focus attention on the result of the deeds of people in the world.